Fruit and vegetables are always items that face the quality versus quantity debate. We buy seasonally and our supermarket bill doubles. We buy canned or frozen veggies, and we experience half the taste. Thanks to Munro Direct food vacuum sealers we can finally get a win/win situation. Check out our favourite recipes to make and vacuum seal for different seasons.
Sensational Summer Fruit Salad
No longer are fresh fruit salads restricted to the summer months! Have this delicious sweet treat all year round by buying fresh fruit in season and sealing it for later days.
- 4 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 container of strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 3 cups seedless green grapes
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 containers of fresh raspberries
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Toss together first 5 ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- Spoon yogurt into a separate serving bowl and sprinkle it with sugar and drizzle with honey.
- Divide fruit into 8 cup sized servings and vacuum seal.
- Vacuum seal the yoghurt and serve with each portion of fruit salad.
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living
Winter Warm Up Moroccan Vegetable Stew
This stew is vegan, vegetarian, and delicious! It uses fresh vegetables that can be an exorbitant cost if you buy them out of season. It’s great to warm you up in the frosty winter months and also delicious with rice or potatoes.
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 3 ¼ cups of chopped tomatoes (this can be substituted for low sodium canned tomatoes)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (Chickpeas can be substituted for pinto beans, white beans, kidney beans, black beans or green lentils if desired)
- 2 tsp Moroccan seasoning (you can buy pre made from the supermarket or combine a pinch of ginger, cinnamon, cumin, and cilantro)
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp apple juice concentrate
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sautee the onion, peppers, celery, carrots, and mushrooms for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the vegetable broth/stock, canned chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, tomato paste and for those wanting a spicy palette – add chopped jalapeno.
- Bring the soup to a boil over a high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, cover partially, and let simmer until cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- Stir in seasonings, raisins, and juice.
- Divide the stew up then vacuum seal it for later days!
Recipe courtesy The Healthaliciously Good Cookbook
Fruit and vegetables are an essential to our everyday diet. Problem is, we can’t all afford to eat healthy all the time. Thanks to Munro Direct food vacuum sealers, we no longer have to debate over quality and quantity. With these great recipes, you can enjoy summer fruits by the fire or even Moroccan Stew in Moroccan type weather!
“Finally, we can get the best of both worlds.”
Have you got a good recipe as well? Share your best recipe using your favourite seasonal fruit and veggies.